The Little Rock Garden Club was organized in 1923 under the leadership of Mrs. J.N. Heiskell and was the first garden club in Arkansas. After encouraging and assisting other groups to organize, LRGC became one of nine charter clubs in 1931 of the Arkansas Federation of Garden Clubs. In 1960, LRGC became a member of the Garden Club of America.
When Mrs. Heiskell and our charter members began this club, they had a dream it would enrich the life and enhance the appearance of Little Rock. Since 1923, our members have continued in their path. Our many past projects and their impact in Little Rock show how the original dream continues as reality today.
In 2003, the Butler Center for Arkansas Studies added the Little Rock Garden Club historical records to its collection. The collection contains LRGC organizational and financial records dating to 1923, including photographs, scrapbooks, minutes, and other memorabilia.